- How does the divorce process work? Your lawyer should be willing to educate and guide you through the divorce process. Have the lawyer clearly explain the process to you, from filing the papers, to the final divorce trial. This is also a great question to judge how familiar the lawyer is with the divorce process.
- How will I be billed? If you hire the divorce attorney, you should expect to sign a legal service agreement that covers how you will be charged. Ask the lawyer’s hourly rate, as well as how and when you will be billed. Ask if you can pay by credit card, check, cash or other payment methods.
- Can you estimate the total cost of my divorce? While I’m sure this is a high priority question and should be asked, it is very difficult to estimate. The cost of a divorce depends on many factors including: what you ask the lawyer to do, the condition of the marriage relationship, and ability to reason with your spouse and their lawyer.
- How will we correspond? In this new age there are multiple and adequate ways to communicate. Ask your lawyer if they prefer phone contact over email or other ways. Should you expect papers faxed to you or emailed as PDF’s? Make sure that you are comfortable with the means of communication the divorce attorney uses.
- How long will the process take? This question is also difficult to answer, as it too depends on many factors. Ask your lawyer to estimate about how long the case will take if: you settle quickly, settle after negotiations, or have a trial.
- What else do you provide to make the divorce process less difficult and painful? Divorce is a difficult time, and good lawyers provide information and resources to help deal with the human side of the impact. Does your lawyer provide educational material? Are they patient with you? Do they offer referrals to other professional services such as a pastor or therapist if needed?
- Are there any other costs involved in the divorce process? Your case may require experts, such as appraisers, accountants, social workers, or family psychologists. Ask your lawyer what costs you should expect, what experts may be needed, and how you will be charged for these additional services.
- How would you predict a judge would rule on the issues concerning my divorce? No lawyer can guarantee exact results, but it is important to listen closely to the analysis behind the lawyer’s answer. Do the results sound practical, realistic, and encouraging?
At the Law Office of Joseph D. Songy, PLLC Attorney and Counselor at Law we take special care to ensure that you have the best representation possible throughout your divorce case. As always if you need any legal assistance, give our office a call at 601-336-0305 or email us at email@example.com to schedule your Free Consultation from a local attorney in Hattiesburg, MS.
PLEASE NOTE: Nothing in this post shall be construed as an offering of legal advice. These posts are meant for informative and educational purposes only. Please call our office to discuss any legal issues you may be facing.